August 3, 2009

I need another weekend

As many of you know (I love how I am writing like there are hundreds out of you out there reading), The Hubs, Michael and I were moving in a new apartment this weekend.  While moving is never fun, we were looking forward to getting into our new place and finally getting Michael his own room.  I've ordered a crib, a changing table, swapped around dressers, the whole nine yards...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Friday we got the keys and went to do a walk through of the apartment.  As I was checking the fridge I heard laughter from Michael's room and walked into find M and The Hubs wrestling on the floor with the dogs watching and waiting for the opportunity to jump in get some good kisses in.  It was one of those moments where you heart melts and you realize that all the hopes and dreams you had for this time in your life are nothing compared to the real thing.  

And then we got to Saturday.  My Dad and BIL came down to help us move.  We got 3/4 of our stuff in before M's bedtime, got him settled and in bed and continued to unpack before getting to bed ourselves.  I decided to check on M one last time before bed and noticed something moving on his sheet.  I called DH in and long story short, he realized that there were bed bugs in M's room.  

Let's take a second to let that sink in.  Bed bugs.  In my baby's soon to be On the Night You Were Born themed nursery.  

So back to our original apartment we went (thank God we were moving within the same development) and the three of us spent a restless night on an air mattress with a leak so we woke up at least twice on the floor.  We spent Sunday getting things out of the 2 bedroom apartment, checking them and cleaning them before bringing them into the apartment.  Then today we got a moving company to help DH move the big pieces of furniture back into our original apartment.

There was a moment where I realized that I had two options - pitch a fit complete with crying, screaming and hysterics or I could just keep going forward.  I did indulge in a good old fashioned break down on Sunday afternoon while driving to BRU to get M a new mattress but the I realized all of the reasons why this isn't that big of a deal:
  • My biggest stress is ending up with bed bugs in my house.  Not where we are going to sleep tonight, or how I am going to feed my son tomorrow.  
  • My husband is here.  I made a move without him last summer while seven months pregnant and having him here helps me stay sane.
  • I have at least one more month of having my little boy in the same room as me.  I know I have to let him grow up but I am indulging myself with just a little bit more time with him as my dear sweet baby.
So tonight, we got all the boxes and furniture sorted and we are back on our couch.  Hopefully we'll be moving into our new apartment in about a month or so and then you'll all be subjected to blog post after blog post on M's nursery.  

My apologies in advance :-)

2 comments:

  1. Well that sounded like a shitastic weekend. Why do you have to wait a month to move in now? One more question, how does one get rid of bed bugs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The development didn't have another two bedroom apartment available until September 1st and we decided that we do want to stay here. We just can't beat the location in terms of its proximity to day care and my job.

    You get rid of bed bugs by spraying a shit ton of pesiticides on everything about once every two weeks for a few months. Most people are able to stay in their homes while that is going on, but I wasn't willing to risk exposing Michael to all those chemicals.

    ReplyDelete