July 29, 2009

And I'm back

How on Earth is it already Wednesday? It feels like it should still be a lazy weekend day - and it certainly doesn't help that its a rainy day here in NoVa.



Anyway, I'm sure you've all been wondering where I was since undoubtedly your days were not complete without having a new blog post from me to read. Well, dear reader, I went home this weekend to spend some time with my Mom. It was her birthday and it's been over a month since I've seen her so I left The Hubs home with our two dogs and Michael and I drove up to Philly.



Now the trip from DC to Philly is an easy one, since it is straight up the 95 corridor as it's called. But while it may be easy in terms of the lack of twists and turns, the traffic on 95 on a Friday in the summer is legendary. I had the good sense to leave work at 12 and drive up there with Michael in the middle of the afternoon instead of waiting to deal with rush hour traffic AND shore traffic but as we all know the more I plan the more things go to hell in a hand basket. Now, the drive wasn't all that bad but have you ever been stuck in Jonas Brother's World Tour traffic? The bumper to bumper kind of traffic as parents try to get car loads of screaming teeny boppers to the Wachovia Center in Philly? And while stuck in that traffic, have a crabby, teething, screaming 8 month old in your backseat? To quote all my new little friends, oh my Jonas.

But once we got over that hurdle it was a good weekend. I spent a lot of time with my Mom, which I think we both needed. It still amazes me how my relationship with my Mom has changed since I got pregnant and most of all since Michael has arrived. My Mom is my hero - The Hubs was in Iraq when Michael was born and so my Mom stepped up in a big way. She made sure I had help getting things set up for Michael's arrival, she was the one with me in the hospital and I moved back into my parents house for 3 months while on maternity leave so she could help me. She was less a grandmother and more a co-parent during that time and I can honestly say that without her I wouldn't not have made it through those first few months with a single shred of sanity.

I look at Michael and wonder if we will get to this point where I am with my Mom. I'm not one of those people who say that my Mom is my best friend but I don't need or want her to be. I want her to be my Mom. The one person who will always love me, who will always take me in and always tell me when my pants are too tight. I want Michael to know when he grows up that I am always on his side, but that I will also tell him when he is being a jerk. And that even when he is, I'll love him anyway. I know that my Mom does.

No comments:

Post a Comment