March 2, 2010

Totally Tubular

Michael got his tubes put in on Friday and we are already seeing a huge difference in our little guy. The kid who said nothing but dadadada 24 hours before was saying Mommy, Daddy and Bailey by Saturday morning.

It was an early morning, but I think Michael helped to brighten every one's day with his monster jams, Magilla Gorilla and of course, the all important frog boots. They are THE must have boot for spring.



We were called back to pre-op and Michael charmed the nurses, anesthetists and doctors with his good lucks and frog boots. Then came the moment when we needed to remove his boots and things went downhill very quickly as Michael was not pleased with the thought of being bootless. Fortunately we were blessed with very understanding nurses so once he was in his "scrubs" the boots went right back on.



We met with our ENT and anesthesiologist who reviewed the procedure with me one more time before we went back to the OR. Both doctors agreed that there are certain battles not worth fighting, so Michael walked back to the OR holding his Mom's hand and still rocking the frog boots. I set him on the table and held his hand while they but him under, which was the worst part for me. Even though I knew he was in great hands, seeing his eyes roll back in his head before closing was a gut wrenching moment. I just kept reminding myself that in this moment I was all Michael had (the hubs wasn't able to get away for the surgery) and that I needed to keep it together for his sake.

I waited for Michael in the recovery room and 20 minutes later they rolled my still sleeping baby back to me. He woke up a few minutes after that and after about a 2 minute hissy fit he was happily drinking from his sippy, eating cheerios and watching the Today show. His surgery started at 8am and by 8:45 I was strapping him back into his car seat so we could head home.

Recovery has been a breeze and our biggest issue so far has been that Michael can suddenly hear all the little noises he's been missing all this time. So the sound of the heater turning on, our neighbors walking around upstairs and the other million and one little noises we take for granted were completely over stimulating him for the first few days. There were lots of tears and crappy sleep but he seems to have worked his way through things now and is doing great. Now the hubs and I just need to work on watching we say around him since there is a good chance anything we say could come back to haunt us.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, those boots are too cute on Michael. I'm so glad that the surgery went well and that you were on your way home within 45 mins. That's quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So darn cute. I'm glad he had Magilla the Gorilla with him . . . and of course the boots!

    Can't wait to hear him talking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! And how awesome that Michael is talking so much now!

    ReplyDelete